Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Back at the Chalice

Cathedral Square, Christchurch. July 2009. Ajr
You only need to click on the word Chalice in the label line below this post to see that I am totally seduced by the silvery-blue tangle of pattern that is Neil Dawson's Chalice, which dominates Cathedral Square. I rarely walk passed it without taking a photograph, so I have it summer, winter, spring, autumn, night, day, rain and sunshine. People seem to either love it or hate it. Obviously I love it as a photographic subject - and for the way it stands apart from the surrounding architecture; the way it dwarfs the busy throngs of photographing tourists at its base; the way it catches and reflects the light; the way it glows in the dark; the way it stirs controversy. Isn't that what a good piece of public art is supposed to do? As far as large, egotistic art statements go, I think its a beauty.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin