Monday, June 1, 2009

It's Snowing Down South

Crown Range, Wanaka. May 2009. Ajr
The weather forecast predicted savagely cold temperatures for the deep south this weekend. Personally, I don't know how it can get any colder than when I was there two weeks ago. I drove out to Cardrona, near Wanaka one afternoon and although the sun was shining and the skies were blue, it was perishingly cold. I sat on a quiet road in a rather unlikely subdivision (half developed) and soaked up the total silence. The mountains were covered in whipped cream snow, falcons soared in the skies above and all nearby houses looked as though they had been sealed for the winter. I never saw a single person. Needless to say though, the people at nearby Cardrona Alpine Resort will be rubbing their frozen hands together in delight. The omens are pointing to a bumper early ski season. www.cardrona.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin