Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Taste of True South

There’s nothing new about the concept of buying local to assure freshness and quality control but in this day and age of environmental sustainability it’s taken on a new level of significance – and at True South, the classy new restaurant at one of Queenstown’s newest hospitality players, The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments, it is at the core of everything they do. I particularly like the fact that at the end of their comprehensive and mouth-watering menu, they’ve listed all their local produce suppliers, complete with contact details so that diners can make contact with them directly to source their own edible goodies. Leading the charge at True South, is innovative young British chef, Ben Batterbury, 30, who developed his talent for creating exciting classically-based dishes under the direction of two Michelin-starred chefs – Gary Jones, who is now executive head chef at Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons restaurant in Oxford; and Simon Crannage at the Charlton House luxury country hotel in Somerset.
Ben believes in food that is recognizable, superbly cooked, true to flavour and embellished to deliver an element of surprise. “Dining out is a kind of theatre, providing pleasure to all the senses,” he says. I’m a big fan of edible theatre myself – it’s the very best of performance and when I get to Queenstown in May you can be assured I will be indulging myself. It’s part of my job after all – not that I ever need an excuse to indulge myself. All images above taken by Ben Batterbury and supplied by The Rees From Top to Bottom: Foie gras; Langos pork belly; basil pannacotta; rhubarb. www.therees.co.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin