Saturday, March 28, 2009

Afternoon Delight

Vintage Country Fair Scenes and a 1976 Lincoln Continental, McLean's Island. March 2009 Ajr
I have just arrived home from a most unexpected day – unable to focus on writing work this morning I decided to go for a short drive and soon found myself out in rural Kaiapoi. On the way back in to town, I saw signs for a fair and followed them. Imagine my surprise when I ended up at the McLean’s Island Vintage Country Fair in the company of hundreds of vintage car and machinery fans. …….. blokes standing around watching and, I suppose, listening, to the putt-putt-clang-clang of strange old machines and motors; folks sitting on haybales all staring into an empty ring; traction engines puffing and hissing; Clydesdale horses, old fire engines and military vehicles doing their thing; and, best of all, ‘vehicular fans’ sitting around in cosy groups having picnic lunches, or chatting in camper vans. Just one more graphic example of the fact that there are ‘whole other worlds’ out there that most of us never discover - unless by chance. I love the randomness of that and I'm thrilled that I can still be surprised!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin