Friday, December 12, 2008

Limestone Country

North Canterbury Landscapes. Dec. 2008. Ajr
I had a wee bit of an adventure todayexploring the limestone country inland from Waipara and Waikari. I’d gone up to Hawarden, one and a half hours north-west of Christchurch for an interview and I decided to come home ‘the back way.’ This took me through beautiful, undulating farmland and on a grey, drizzly day everything was veiled in a fine mist that made everything seem even more remote. I say ‘remote’ because the trip took me well off the beaten track and after more than 30 kilometres of lonely, rutted, winding gravel roads, with not a human in sight, I began to wonder if I would ever see civilisation again. That’s always the danger of ‘back roads’ of course; but I was rewarded with some lovely atmospheric shots and the discovery of some fantastic limestone outcrops that I will return to another time – in fine weather perhaps.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin