Thursday, December 11, 2008

Going Bush

Top: Truman Track; Centre: Bealey Track; Bottom: Cave Creek Track. Dec. 2008. Ajr
For the last four days I have been immersed in the lush greenery of the West Coast. I’m not a big hiker of note but, having invested heavily in a pair of expensive tramping boots, I decided to test them – just three days after pulling them from their tissue-lined box. Everyone had wise words to say about that foolish move but I’m pleased to announce that my boots and I bonded instantly and there wasn’t a blister in sight. I took on the West Coast Trail, a fantastic combination of walks over six or seven well known West Coast walks, organised by Tuatara Tours of Christchurch. Starting at Castle Hill in Arthur’s Pass and working our way steadily through limestone escarpments, beech forests, tussock lands, alpine bush, native rainforest and sub-tropical nikau forests, we ended up in the Porarari River Valley, north of Punakaiki – wet but otherwise no worse for the wear. The best bit for me, was the chance to exercise my camera finger. I came home with over 700 photographs and am now steadily culling them. There will be more! www.tuataratours.co.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin