Sunday, October 12, 2008

Re-Visiting the Basilica

Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, Christchurch. Oct. 2008. Ajr
Since it’s Sunday I’m going to continue the church architecture theme with these shots I took this morning outside the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, the Catholic Basilica. It’s a building I totally adore for its mammoth bulk and majestic heft. Designed by architect, Francis William Petre, the Basilica is too often overlooked in favour of the Christchurch Anglican Cathedral in my view. Sure the latter IS a lovely building but I think the Basilica is a far grander architectural statement. You can see an earlier post I made, along with an interior of the above domes, in my July index to the right. It's entitled "A Visual Climax."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin